Above: Preview of a potential winter scene from Death Park, formerly known as
Shawnee Mission Park
Journal Entry by Jason Miller
Today Jason Miller and Bite Club of KC, acting pro se, filed a
Temporary Restraining Order against Michael Meadors and the Johnson County Parks
and Recreation District in the District Court of Johnson County to restrain
'Defendants from carrying out a deer herd reduction in Shawnee Mission Park and
adjacent park properties through the use of archers or by other lethal means.'
The Petition also stated, 'Once presented with the facts, the Court will very
likely grant a Permanent Injunction, prohibiting Michael Meadors and the Johnson
County Parks and Recreation District from enabling the gratuitous slaughter of
any additional deer in Shawnee Mission Park, or any public properties under
The accompanying Affidavit cited 13 instances of unethical or illegal actions
committed by the Defendants:
1. The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks admitted that suppressors are
illegal, yet the Defendants used them in the initial sharpshooting phase of the
deer herd reduction in Shawnee Mission Park. See exhibits 1 and 2.
2. The Defendants used spotlighting in the initial sharpshooting phase of the
deer herd reduction in Shawnee Mission Park, despite spotlighting being illegal
in the state of Kansas.
3. The Defendants willfully altered the deer kill log table and failed to
complete it properly. This represents another violation of Kansas law. See
4. The Defendants authorized and carried out the sharpshooting phase of the cull
despite having established no Johnson County Parks and Recreation District
policy addressing sharpshooting.
5. The Defendants conducted a grossly inaccurate and potentially fraudulent
secondary deer census that was skewed in such a way that the resulting deer
population count necessitated archers to kill more deer in Shawnee Mission Park.
6. The Defendants willfully misled the public to believe that lethal deer
management was the only viable way of managing the deer overpopulation problem
in Shawnee Mission Park.
7. The deer overpopulation problem came about due to the Defendants' gross
negligence and mismanagement.
8. The Defendants severely abused their power by ignoring public commentary at
their meetings that was overwhelmingly in favor of managing the deer
overpopulation problem through nonlethal means.
9. The Defendants rejected implementing a viable, cost-effective, comprehensive
nonlethal deer management plan on the premise that fencing approximately 300
deer in a 40-60 acre preserve was equivalent to trapping wildlife, a gross
distortion of intellect and language.
10. The Defendants blatantly lied to me, a taxpaying member of the community
they serve, in response to my question to them as to whether or not they were
enlisting the services of Anthony DeNicola and White Buffalo, Inc. See exhibit 4
11. The Defendants have authorized archers to use cross-bows and broad-head
arrows, despite Section 2.1.5 of the Johnson County Code of Regulations for the
Park and Recreation District prohibiting both 'within the boundaries of any
District Facility.' See exhibit 5
12. Based on video evidence gathered from a similar sharp shoot supervised and
conducted by Anthony DeNicola and White Buffalo, the 313 deer killed in Shawnee
Mission Park in early November most likely suffered immensely, despite
DeNicola's claim that the shooting of the 313 deer was carried out in the 'was
carried out in the most humane way possible.' See exhibits 6 and 7
13. After having killed 313 deer with sharpshooters, which reduced the
population significantly enough that nonlethal means to manage the remaining
deer would be highly effective, the Defendants are now preparing to kill more
deer via bow hunting, a demonstrably cruel and ineffective method of killing
deer. See exhibits 8 and 9
Watch the video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4 and go vegan. Do it for
your health, for nonhuman animals and for the Earth!
To support or undertake animal rights and liberation activism in the Kansas City
area, visit Bite Club of KC at http://biteclubkc.wordpress.com/ and email us at