Practical > Companion Animals & Urban Wildlife > Companion Animals

Pet Travel
This page provides basic information on domestic and international travel of common pets and other animals.

After you have reviewed this page, if you still have any questions or concerns for exporting animals to a foreign country, you should contact the Veterinary Services Area Office in the State from which your pet will be exported.

Basic Statements and Information on Pet Travel:

    Please review Animals Care pamphlet on Traveling with your pet for basic USDA transportation requirements. (text or Pdf).

    Various U. S. Government Agencies have rules for pet imports, especially the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and units of USDA.

    Neither USDA nor CDC requires a health certificate for routine pet imports. (Note: CDC requires proof of Rabies Vaccination)

    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires proof of rabies vaccination for all imported dogs (Click here for CDC rules).

    CDC also has rules concerning other imported animals. Please review CDC's Frequently asked questions concerning which animals can be imported. Animals mentioned on this page include, but is not limited to, horses, cats, turtles, bats, birds, snakes, fish, monkeys, civets, rodents, rabbits, and others

    USDA will not permit some foreign substances such as native grass, soil, fresh meat, or vegetables to enter the country (plant and animal disease is the concern). Please review the USDA National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) website for more details.

    Some countries require an Heath Certificate and or proof of rabies vaccination signed by a U. S. government official. To find the nearest office that can do this, please go to this website: (USDA State Offices)

    The United Kingdom;s (UK) requirements for import of pets can be found at this website.

    Information on European Union (EU) pet import rules (and pet passports) are at this website

    Airlines may have their own rules. If traveling by air, please check with the airline well in advance of travel.









Useful Websites:

    USDA/APHIS State Offices
    (certain countries require Government officials to sign health certificate)

    International requirements for animal import listed by Country:(go to page)

    Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requirements on importing your pet.

Tips and Facts:

    It is a good idea to get your pet used to the travel container prior to travel. Also, we have heard that something that has the owners scent in the container will help reassure the pet during travel -- such as an old T-shirt that the owner wore for a period of time (such as overnight during sleep)

    Most airlines that accept animals will have a website page with useful facts and tips about animal transport. You should read this page prior to travel. (Do a search on the name of the Airline, then when on page look for, or search for "animal" or similar wording)

    Many Animal Welfare Organizations have information on pet travel on their websites. It is easy to find these organizations through a web search